1. Are there more color pigments to discover?
**Yes, if you define new pigments as materials with a different absorption wave length.
2. Will the periodic table ever be complete?
**That will depend on how hard chemists work. If transient elements under extreme conditions are to be counted the periodic table could be very large.
3. How can we measure interface phenomena on the microscopic level?
**As we did in measuring bulk phenomena
4. What is the future for energy storage？
**Either we figure out this one or we do not have a future
5. Why does life require chirality?
**Even synthetic chemists require chirality, so why not? A racemic life is like having a twin sister, who may steal your boy friends so why keep the other enantiomer
6. How can we better manage the world's plastic waste?
**By training more chemists.
7. Will AI redefine the future of chemistry?
**Maybe, but AI might be redefined by chemistry first
8. How can matter be programmed into living materials?
**Totally synthetic cells are totally possible
9. What drives reproduction in living systems?
**Survival bias maybe. If you cannot reproduce you would be observed by the people who ask this question
Medicine & Health
1. Can we predict the next pandemic?
**Qualitatively yes, quantitatively no. Human interactions are next to impossible to avoid so pandemic will always be a possibility, but like wild fires the trigger and timing are difficult to predict.
2. Will we ever find a cure for the common cold?
**Yes. Modern medicine is only 100 years old and forever is a very long time.
3. Can we design and manufacture medicines customized for individual people?
**Yes, it already exists. Its name is milasen
4. Can a human tissue or organ be fully regenerated?
**Yes. My liver today is composed of cells that my teenage year liver had not seen. Google the Ship of Theseus
5. How is immune homeostasis maintained and regulated?
**Don’t know, but glad it does
6. Is there a scientific basis to the Meridian System in traditional Chinese medicine?
**Don’t ask, don’t tell
7. How will the next generation of vaccines be made?
**Are you living under a rock? Did you not see where capital went in the last 12 months? mRNA!
8. Can we ever overcome antibiotic resistance?
**Yes, but we will have to keep doing it like we bath every day
9. What is the etiology of autism?
10. What role does our microbiome play in health and disease?
**A better question may be what role we play in the health of microbiome. Go watch Lilo and Stich
11. Can xenotransplantation solve the shortage of donor organs?
**This, I believe
1. What could help conservation of the oceans?
**Consume with moderation
2. Can we stop ourselves from aging?
**Likely, but be careful with what you wish
3. Why can only some cells become other cells?
**You mean under physiological conditions? Why does goalkeeper not also serve the corner kicks?
4. Why are some genomes so big and others very small?
**A small apartment is enough for some to live, a big mansion cannot contain some egos.
5. Will it be possible to cure all cancers?
**Definitely. People need to know there are worse diseases
6. What genes make us uniquely human?
**What gives coca cola its unique taste?
7. How do migratory animals know where they're going?
**By killing those who don’t
8. How many species are there on Earth?
9. How do organisms evolve?
**The combination of the ability to generate diversity and ruthless selection can make wonders
10. Why did dinosaurs grow to be so big?
**Human-centric question. Why are humans so small?
11. Did ancient humans interbreed with other human-like ancestors?
**They most likely did
12. Why do humans get so attached to dogs and cats?
**Because they don’t talk back
13. Will the world's population keep growing indefinitely?
**Are you kidding? Watch the slogans on the street
14. Why do we stop growing?
**We learned from dinosaurs
15. Is de-extinction possible?
**It would certainly be easier than creating life from scratch
16. Can humans hibernate?
17. Where do human emotions originate?
18. Will humans look physically different in the future?
**On average we look 30 pounds different from the past, so likely
19. Why were there species explosions and mass extinction?
20. How might genome editing be used to cure disease?
**It is being done already by correcting faulty genes
21. Can a cell be artificially synthesized?
**The simplest live cells contain only 300 some genes. Total synthesis of cells should be achievable
22. How are biomolecules organized in cells to function orderly and effectively?
**Diversity and selection can make wonders
★ 请关注《美中药源》微信公众号 ★